Your liver has the largest number of germ-killing immune cells that allow it to mount a robust immune response.
One of the many jobs your liver has is preventing harmful bacteria and viruses from entering through your gut.
Unfortunately, most people’s livers have been compromised by toxins in the form of:
- Prescription medicines (such as statin drugs or antibiotics)
- Over-the-counter medicines (such as acetaminophen)
- Recreational drugs
- Air and water pollution
- Cigarettes and vaping
- Sugar and artificial sweeteners
- Ultra processed foods
- Fried Food
- Artificial coloring and flavors
- Excess sodium
- Excess red meat/deli meats
Taking good care of your liver can help stabilize your blood sugar (the secret to balancing your hormones), improve your estrogen production and elimination, improve your adrenal and thyroid health, and enhance your energy.
You know what that means?
Better ability to handle stress, anxiety and all things 2020. 😉
Here are over 25 foods that can improve your liver health!!!!
Add them to your shopping list this weekend!
- Cruciferous vegetables (sulphorophane-rich) such as Brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower; leafy greens and herbs (especially cilantro) – have loads of fiber and antioxidants that help cleanse the liver (also rich in calcium for good bone health!)
- Coffee – studies have shown that coffee drinkers with fatty liver disease have less liver damage than those who don’t drink coffee. Caffeine appears to lower the amount of abnormal liver enzymes of people at risk for liver diseases. (Note: Not to be used if you have excess stress and or anxiety, heart problems or have a sensitivity to caffeine)
- Beet, carrot, tomatoes and color-rich plants – contain loads of phytonutrients that reduce toxins from the liver and organs)
- Celery – stimulates the colon & lowers blood pressure too!
- Garlic, onions and leeks- great for liver enzymes (high in sulfur to rid toxins)
- Grapefruit (careful with meds) high in antioxidants to benefit liver
- Green tea (especially matcha) for catechins (liver protective, loads of anti-oxidants and metabolism booster)
- Avocado – glutathione to assist reducing compounds from the liver, as well as omega-3 fatty acids to protect your health and reduce your risk of heart disease and certain cancers
- Apples with skins (rich in pectin fiber and polyphenols for healthy detoxification)
- Olive oil, hemp, flax, macadamia, walnut oils – all omega 3 rich and anti-inflammatory
- Lemon (lemon-water in the mornings to help release toxic compounds from the body, as well as high amounts of vitamin C for a healthy immune system, hair, skin and nails
- Turmeric (curcumin especially with the addition of pepper to help rid toxins from the liver)
- Artichokes and asparagus – rich in sulfur compounds that can rid toxins from your liver, also high fiber which helps with this as well
- Burdock (Gobo in Japanese)- stimulates bile production and digestive juices in the gut, which helps the liver to rapidly process toxins and flush them from the system.
- Dandelion – can help flush out the system, eliminating excess toxins and reducing strain on the kidneys, and liver.
- Chicory – contains phyto-chemicals that act as antioxidants and sweep out free radicals (reducing risks of chronic diseases like heart disease and cancer)
Best part is that all these beautiful plants have MULTITUDES of other benefits to your health!